Well, what exactly is display advertising?
To keep it simple, display advertising is a type of advertising that normally contains text, photographs or other images, logos, location maps and related items. One very common form of display advertising involves billboards. Other examples include fliers, posters, tents, transit cards, and scale models. These days, display ads are also appear on the Internet as part of online advertising campaigns. These ads make their presence on web pages in quite a few forms including Text, Web Banners or Images, Rich media, Video etc.
Display Advertising – How to do it right in the online platform?
- First and foremost, you have to place display ads in the most appropriate place. Ensure you are placing your ads on a site that is visited by your target audience. For instance, if you are advertising a trendy pair of shoes for the teens, you should not put your ad on a site meant for senior citizens.
- You should not provide all the information on the ad itself – less is more in case of banner ads. Just give enough information that will make the readers curious to know more. Don’t forget that the primary goal of display advertising is to make the target click on the ad. Write your ad in such a way that your audience wishes to read more.
- Make sure you deliver what you promise in your ad. Provided you are promoting a particular product or service, let your link direct people to that specific page. Your ad must not always link to your homepage. If you are a carpet dealer advertising a sale on a particular variety of carpets, your ad should link to the advertised carpet directly. It is not a great idea to make the customer make more moves to arrive at the right place; rather, you lead them to the correct place without wasting their time and effort.
- It doesn’t matter whether or not the site provides you with a file size; you keep your banner ad file size small, preferably under 50k. The bigger the size of the file, the longer it takes to load the page and in fact the greater the chance the customer will stop the action and leave the site before he/she gets to see your ad completely.
- Do a meaningful research on what your competitors are doing. How busy are their ads? Are their ads specific enough? Do they induce curiosity in the viewer? In fact, you can learn a lot about the do’s and don’ts by analyzing the marketing strategies of your competitors.
- Take a good look at the site you are planning to run your banner ad before you design it. Every site has a brand of its own – a template, a font, colour set, and the like. Ascertain that your banner ad will stand out on the site but at the same time, without distracting the viewer from the content they actually came to see in.
While these tips may sound simple, they are perhaps very effective and have been suggested by our experts in the field. Needless to say, with some planning and strategic thinking, you can proceed with your display advertising campaign the rightaway!